top of page

A Day in the Life of a (Quarantined) University Student

Now that I’m in quarantine I feel like nothing is really in my control. I can’t see my friends, I can’t go out to eat, I can’t even go to school. I’m someone that loves to have everything in control and planned out, so when COVID-19 came around I definitely had not planned for that. One of the ONLY things I can control at the moment is my schedule and because of that, I decided to share a typical quarantined day in my life.

8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Today, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. since I have a class. I stayed in bed for half an hour just scrolling through Twitter and Instagram and caught up on whatever I missed in the middle of the night.

9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

Now, at 9:00 a.m., is when I finally decided to get out of bed. I did my normal morning routine. I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I used to have really bad acne and the product that SAVED MY LIFE was the Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub. After I finished doing everything in the bathroom, I got dressed. I know this sounds weird because I’m just going to be sitting at home the entire day but, getting into normal clothes makes me feel more productive. Honestly, I’m not sure why I think it’s a mental thing.

10:00 a.m. – 11:35 a.m.

On Thursday’s my class starts at 10:00 a.m., so at this time I get on zoom and I have my notes ready. For this particular class, the professor puts the PowerPoints on canvas. Yesterday, I typed up her PowerPoint into my notes so that I can follow along as she lectures and I just add or highlight anything she specifically mentions. I do all of this on my iPad since I find it easier and more portable. I use the app Good Notes 5 and I actually love it. I used to have Notability and I have friends that use it as well, but it’s just not my preference.

11:35 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

My class ends at 11:35 a.m. and I just decided to make myself lunch. Today, I made myself a sandwich and had some almond chips on the side. Call me chef, PLEASE. While I eat, I just watch a show or a movie or basically anything on TV.

12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Today, my notes were a little messy, so I went back to fix them up. Then, I remembered that I had a lab due Monday. I’m trying my best to get better with procrastinating (especially because now I have no excuse), so I decided to get some of it done.

1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.

I decided to give myself a well-deserved break from schoolwork. My friends have been on their Chloe Ting’s workout grind and they’ve been convincing me to do it too. I started that today and let me just tell you, it’s not as easy as she makes it look.

2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Another quarantine hobby my mom and I have picked up is baking. I decided to treat my family to a fresh batch of double chocolate muffins. I literally had just finished working out and I was soooo tempted to eat one, but I resisted. Kind of wish I ate it though.

3:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.

At 3:30 p.m. my family wanted to watch a movie, so we watched Good Boys. After that, we played a few board games and of course, I won. I’ve been spending a lot of time with my family ever since quarantine started. I know I was basically forced to hang out with them since I’m not allowed to see anyone else, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t love it. I’m usually always busy between work and school and having a social life so, it does get hard to actually spend quality time with them. One of the things that being in quarantine has taught me though, has been to make more time for them. They always bring me happiness but especially now. They’ve really kept me positive during all the tragedy going on in the world right now and I’m forever grateful for them.

6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.

My dad’s the best cook ever so dinner was GREAT. I had arroz con pollo which is a Hernandez household classic.

7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.

After dinner, I took another shower and I decided to practice some self-care. I washed my face and did a cucumber and coconut facemask. 10/10 recommend. I know I’m not the only one that likes to online shop… it’s kind of an obsession. My online carts add up to $600+, but who’s counting.

10:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.

Honestly, after 10:00 p.m. I just kind of relax. Since I woke up early today, I’m already a little tired. I just got in bed, watched tv, facetimed my best friend and then facetimed my boyfriend, watched more tv and just fell asleep. I wish I could say that I normally go to sleep early like at 11:00 p.m. But, I honestly don’t. I think the earliest I’ve fallen asleep is 1:00 a.m. and that was today.

I know times like this are tough in one way or another for everyone. We all have a different way of coping with everything going on right now. For me, I find it best to distract myself and pick up some hobbies that I didn’t have time for before. I feel like the most important thing to do during a time like this is to keep an optimistic mindset and to try to look at the positive things that are still going on. Don’t forget to wear a face mask, social distance, stay safe, and stay healthy!

bottom of page